For the last 25 years (1992 – 2017), Rob worked in the law department at Aetna, most recently as Vice President.
For over two decades, Rob served in increasingly senior roles at Aetna, counseling senior business leaders and overseeing 100+ lawyers and other professionals supporting Aetna’s commercial insured products. Among his responsibilities at Aetna, he led the efforts to settle the company’s most significant legal matter, a national class action arising under RICO and ERISA on behalf of all physicians and state medical societies. In the area of healthcare cost containment, Rob served as the lead business counsel for the investigation of and negotiation with a national provider group for the overpayment of millions of dollars in improper claims.
He has counseled Aetna on issues including high-profile pre-service coverage requests, development of policies regarding medical necessity of various treatment modalities, devices and drugs, and on the evolution of claims reimbursement policies. Rob led the effort to resolve a national class action involving Aetna’s use of Ingenix database and related investigation by the New York Attorney General’s office, and has counseled on sensitive False Claim Act issues arising out of a Medicaid procurement bid.
Rob’s legal experience includes:
- Healthcare Cost Containment
- False Claim Act
- Government investigations
- National Class Actions
- Harvard Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Yale College, B.A., Phi Beta Kappa, magna cum laude
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States Court of Appeals, 1st Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
- Children’s Reading Partners
- Jewish Federation of Greater Hartford Audit Committee
- Connecticut Bar Association